Firstly I was thinking of using different materials and ways of depicting the figures. This first study I wanted to use charcoal and rub back but unfortunately the paper was resistant and peeled away.
Then tried brown paper from shopping carrier bags with chalks and conte sticks. This is helpful in building up a better depiction of the figure.
Finally used a combination of both on a watercolour paper. Maybe would have worked better with a wet medium first and then working on top.
So for the final piece I went back to the carrier bag brown paper and different chalks and conte sticks. Partly successful in terms of depicting the weight of the figure on the floor. I think I am still hesitant in getting enough distinction with the tones across the figure.
Wanted to go for a completely different approach with this pose. Using the not looking blind drawing initially and then building up with different materials.
I like the initial image best. It has more character and its abstraction works for the pose.
In line with spending longer on the final image and using a different material I used red biro with a continuous drawing kind of technique. Very ambiguous about this. Not successful.
Went for the Auerbach technique. It is not that accurate but structurally it is more interesting than the biro drawing.
My final pose and technique was thinking about Degas and the drawing I had previously made of the standing figure. So this is water soluble crayons on pastel paper. I have endeavoured to be freer with the mark making. This is a bit of a hybrid in that the form is there, the pose is there but something is missing.
The anatomy studies are definitely adding to the drawings by my growing awareness of the structures beneath the form. However I am feeling driven by trying to achieve so much in such a short period of time.
I have been going to regular life classes but you can’t always get the poses and timings that suit the course exercises. I’m finding that my accuracy changes from week to week and depending on the model what I am trying to achieve.
Recently I was trying to create a large study of a naked lady in a long pose class and had clearly chosen the wrong materials and wrong angle to achieve an interesting outcome. Going to take a step back and think more about the composition before I start and the possibilities of the materials being used.