The first of 3 preliminary sketches for the assignment. I used the working blind drawing method and then two further drawn lines over this. Plus some overworking in areas of the face. I particularly like the activity or energy of the drawing and the way the face has emerged from the different lines and overworking.
Could definitely have worked much slower on the blind drawing stage to establish a stronger layout for the fiture.
Second drawing using water soluble wax crayons – again I worked in various layers overworking each colour and then used water to blur/fuse them together. Is using water drawing? I don’t know. This drawing also has a freshness about it but looses out a bit on the accuracy side.
Final study and dealing with the difficulty of using purely line to create volume in the figure. Cheated using various inks as well as the main drawing with ink and pen. Again do like the spontaneity of this image but am becoming aware of the difficulty of working these type of methods up to A1 size. The 3 studies are around A3.
This is the A1 final version of the drawing. Realised how much line work it takes to build up the volume – i.e. the jumper which I think is successful The trousers are less so. Wanted to use another version of line but but short on time. Some inaccuracies of proportion and placing of the limbs – particular the far – left leg. Also head not properly placed – neck too long……
He is so nearly there but minor inaccuracies escalate when working at a larger size. Working purely with line was challenging I found.